Sunday, April 20, 2008

Malaysia Boleh!

First Posted on 11th October 2007:


It seems just like yesterday when I heard the term 'Malaysia Boleh' everywhere. Back when our badminton shuttlers hoisted the Thomas Cup through Penang Bridge was the time when I was really proud of being Malaysian, the most appropriate time for us to shout 'Malaysia Boleh!' together! Alas, I was just a small child then, so I didn't really realise the real meaning of that term. Back then, it would symbolize that our country is able to achieve great success if we try hard enough, with training and persistence. And more recently, our celebration of 50 years of independence, it was another reason for us to cheer 'Malaysia Boleh!' again. "Why all this talk about Malaysia Boleh out of a sudden?' you readers might ask.. Especially after a long break since my last post.

The truth is, I do not think that the higher-uppers in our country understands the term 'Malaysia Boleh' anymore. Now, that term symbolizes that our country can achieve anything (note that I did not say 'success') as long as they pump enough money into it just because they can, hence 'Malaysia Boleh'. Case in point? The state of Proton right now. Without the government's endless flows of injections and market barriers (the 200000% excise tax and the delay of the AFTA agreement to be precise), our first ever Malaysian carmaker would have closed shop ages ago. Is poor management to blame? Partly. But mostly? I think it's because of the level of corruption in our country. While I am a staunch supporter of government stability (this means I'm still supporting Barisan if you're wondering), the recent disclosure by our Attorney-General of such cases of corruption inside our very own government agencies are very disturbing, to say the least. But that is a story for another day..

The real reason I'm questioning our country's understanding of the term 'Malaysia Boleh' is because of the recent 'Angkasawan' campaign that we have seen our 'first ever Malaysian bolehnaut go into space'. Would anyone please fill me in why we are doing this? Why our government is spending millions of ringgit of taxpayers' money to put a Malaysian into a Russian spaceship and staying on the space station for 10 days trying to do some teh tarik-ing in space (well, besides doing some cancer research - I wonder how far he can go in 10 days)? Are we supposed to be getting any technological breakthrough of some sorts by doing so? Will it contribute anything at all to our community? How will this angkasawan project help 'inspire future generations', as stated by Tun Dr. Mahathir? I cannot see any logic in someone achieving his/her dream of going into space for the sole purpose of 'because I can'. If you're going to be using your own money to do it, then hey, knock yourself out.... But if you're going to spend 900-freaking-million-American-dollars worth of taxpayers money to get a freebie trip into space (oh, did I mention the 18 fighter jets comes along with the package?) and 3-more-freaking-million-ringgit for training and whatnot, by all means please explain to us why, why, WHY???
For those still living under a coconut shell, we are currently the laughing stock of the world, not to mention part of our Rakyat, regarding this Angkasawan shenanigan. So, please, please NO SECOND BOLEHNAUT!!!!!!! Shit, they could use a trained monkey to shoot up into space for much, much less, and they can still tell the whole world that a Malaysian (monkey) went to space and back.. Since the whole world's gonna laugh at us anyways.. *sigh*

Cosmonaut, Astronaut, Taikonaut, my ass! Tumpangnaut, here we come!!!

This was brought to you alcohol-free by sonJa, Inc. If you're wondering why I'm so politically charged recently, don't ask. I also don't know myself.. I just hope the ISA doesn't knock on my door anytime soon... You guys will be the first to know if they do... So, until next time, please drop your comments (and constructive criticisms) if you have some, I'd appreciate them very much!!!

No comments: